- "Back Tuva Future"
- Kongar-ol Ondar
- The Russian Republic of Tuva
- Mandolin and Voice
- This particular listening example caught my attention on the helm of a pedagogical discussion I was having with a fellow music conosuier. The discussion was on split tone singing or throat singing, which is the ability to sing multiple notes simultaneously. The appearance of this video is an example of how ethnomusicology can, "seek to broaden limits, including within the scope of ethnomusicology all sorts of things also claimed by other fields or disciplines" (Nettler, p.4). I explained how I was taught in my undergraduate studies that split toe singing was possible but that it was not very controllable. I was also taught that if you did access this phenomenon, you would not be able to dictate which notes you sang and how they sounded. This performance shows that by studying different music of the world, we can remove our own creative and performance barriers. Just watching this video exposed me to possibilities of the human voice and how it can be used.
Saturday, June 28, 2014
Module 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Chastity,
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! I've never heard anything like it. It almost sounds like one of those jew's harp people play in the south. The instrument that is featured on the snoopy cartoons. I just did not know that was possible with a human voice. The control that it took to produce that sound and accuracy of pitches is quite phenomenal. This would definitely encompass the "other fields or disciplines" reference in your quote. Nice find. And to think he was featured on Letterman!
Your blog was posted late this week. Make sure you have each week’s blog entry posted by Friday. I mistakenly recommended YouTube as a source. For future weeks, please use Smithsonian Folkways, Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, or BBC World Music. Make sure you also include your paragraph reacting to each week’s specific prompt. This can be found under Assignments each week.
ReplyDelete